Health and Wellness
Promoting Health & Wellness
Senior Health Care Services
Given our mission to promote resident health and wellness, The Legacy at Highwoods Preserve is committed to regularly evaluating the health needs of our residents in order to develop an appropriate senior care plan that ensures the right mix of personal support, care, diet, exercise, and medication management.
Our Health Care Services
Our senior health care services are available as needed, and include:
- Memory Care and Special Care Programs.
- Expert medication management and administration to ensure that medicines are taken as prescribed, plus coordination of pharmacy services and deliveries.
- Coordination of physician services as needed, including appointments and provision of transportation to doctors’ offices, plus the option of convenient in-house visits from providers with specialties such as primary care, podiatry, dermatology and geriatric psychiatry.
- Care staff on-site 24 hours a day to provide compassionate care and support.
- Coordination of rehabilitative therapy services, including the option of using our convenient in-house therapy services.
- Experienced and dedicated team of Health and Wellness Directors, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Resident Assistants that consistently provide our residents with the highest standard of senior care and support available.
Since numerous members of our care staff receive training in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) as well as the use of our Automated External Defibrillator (AED), residents and families are confident that we are able to provide response to medical emergencies.
We are also a leader in offering senior health information clinics and seminars in conjunction with the local health care community serving the Tampa and New Tampa area.
Nearby Medical Care
Our community location is convenient to physician offices and medical care, including The Veterans Hospital, Advent Wesley Chapel, and Moffit Cancer Center.
Health & Wellness
An Integrated Approach to Wellbeing
Because research shows benefits for healthful aging, we plan our programs to support wellbeing through an integrated mind-body-spirit approach to health and wellness. In addition to health care, our health and wellness approach combines physical activity, mental stimulation, nutrition, socialization, and spiritual fulfillment as follows:
- Physical Activity
Physical activity supports heart, muscular and skeletal strength and supplies oxygenated blood to the brain, supporting cognitive health.
- Mental Stimulation
Mental stimulation helps develop and maintain cellular connections in the brain and defend against neurodegenerative conditions.
Nutrition is important in combating the effects of aging. Our dining room menus feature, foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids that support brain and heart health. We also feature fresh produce that are rich in antioxidants that help defend against cancers and the impact of damaging agents (free radicals) on the brain.
Socialization is very important to keeping people happy and stimulated, which in turn supports health, cognitive function, and even longevity, according to some studies.
- Spiritual Fulfillment
Spiritual fulfillment and being part of a community are also shown to help reduce stress and contribute to health, happiness and longevity.
Using these core principles, we promote wellbeing so that each resident experiences a quality of life that makes each day enjoyable.